Sunday, July 02, 2006

the bike issue

Last year, in early December, I returned home from a red-curry dinner downtown with the old 'mates, San and Sarita (an adventure that saw me ducking a loogie catapulted at me by a homeless man who was offended that I had no cigarettes to give him), to discover that my bicyle was missing. I hadn't paid attention to it in days, perhaps weeks, owing to the cold weather, I told myself, but in fact more likely because I had grown weary of hauling it up and down the apartment stairs, a task which in my mind had taken on Sisyphean proportions. I was reminded of being entrusted, as a youngster, with the responsibility of caring for my sister's hamster when she went away for a while; as it lived in a room by itself, its well-being began to slip my mind more and more. How did I find it when the horror of my lengthiest period of absenteeism finally dawned on me? Belly up, natch. (Crudely fashioned, paper-eared pet yogourt containers and stuffed rats do little to assuage the guilt of that early neglect.)

How long had my bicycle been gone? The severed lock (here photographed in later winter), injured but still serpentine, held its silence. John's bike, parked in the alley below, had been untethered in the same fashion. This was Toronto, and Toronto, we knew but never really understood until now, was lousy with miscreants.

My bicycle; my sweet, cherished Raleigh! Bought with travel-scholarship money, with a bell that sounded like a baby bird's first clear melody, we had been through so much: you were my mount in two university towns, my hometown for one brief summer, and finally, this evil urban centre; we unintentionally overcame London's chained iron gates in the middle of the night -- you charged straight through them like a slimmer, more ergonomic, more lovely army tank! -- and crested the dastardly hill of Trois-Pistoles time and time again; you joined me in protests against the dominance of the automobile on Steel City's smoggy streets, and whispered an apology when you lost your chain; you never once complained, never once suggested medical attention, even as you wheezed your way toward University College. Dear, dear one, for whom do you gallop now?

But from pain comes art, as we all know, and my particular loss inspired this script, which is largely autobiographical (note the in medias res beginning, very Othello):

BUT FIRST, THE WORLD
(A Play in One Act)

Dramatis Personae
L, naïve young thing
A, older and wiser cineaste

[An above-store apartment kitchen. A man and woman are sitting at the sort of table found in church basements, engaged in half-hearted conversation.]

L: The Bicycle Thief -- isn't that an album or something?
A: [shocked] It's only a hallmark of neo-realist cinema!

FIN

But not all stories need end in tragedy! I must tell you about my new bicycle, a used, wonderfully high-handlebarred beast that I took home with me from On the Go just down the street several months ago. It took a while, but I've really warmed to the ol' gal. Just look at her, posing appealingly in my bedroom doorway, ready, like me, to relocate to a home with fewer stairs...



6 Comments:

Blogger mike said...

wow lise you have raised the ante for blog posts with this delightful epic! i'm glad it's got a happy ending with that shot of your new bike taking up the hallway. just seeing it makes the bruises on my ankles and knees throb from the memories of all the times i'm banged them against it.
:)

10:09 p.m.  
Blogger Jaclyn said...

Glad your bicycle saga ended happily! I have a great picture for you for your blog...I will send it when I get home

3:25 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just for the record, I hate that movie.

8:09 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bike, a beautiful Trek hybrid machine that set me back five hunded $ and carried my ass through scotland, was taken from me outside my work in mid to late June this year. Then on returning to Hamilton I find, unsurprisingly really, that my seatless oldling of a bicycle I left there unlocked (because i had a much better one in london) has departed as well.
About a week ago I was walking home from the Casbah with a friend. He offered to let me ride his bike (which he had been walking) home, and we went up and listened to music for a while, and when I went to depart, the bike was gone.
And now I read about this.
I hate that it's so easy to steal bikes. They will save our planet. But yet I still haven't gotten around to getting a new, or used, one yet.

5:25 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bike, a beautiful Trek hybrid machine that set me back five hunded $ and carried my ass through scotland, was taken from me outside my work in mid to late June this year. Then on returning to Hamilton I find, unsurprisingly really, that my seatless oldling of a bicycle I left there unlocked (because i had a much better one in london) has departed as well.
About a week ago I was walking home from the Casbah with a friend. He offered to let me ride his bike (which he had been walking) home, and we went up and listened to music for a while, and when I went to depart, the bike was gone.
And now I read about this.
I hate that it's so easy to steal bikes. They will save our planet. But yet I still haven't gotten around to getting a new, or used, one yet.

5:38 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if only there was some way to delete my replicated comment

5:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home