Monday, October 02, 2006

a-wandering they will go


Kept away from any substantial travel this summer by the demands of my literally workaday life (barring one memorable mini-golf trip to Mississauga in late spring -- no, I'm not forgetting), I've had to satisfy myself with the photos sent to me by more peripatetic folks. The bottom one was taken by one of my oldest friends, Jaclyn, at the Trevi Fountain in Rome, one of the many stops on the whirlwind European tour she took with her husband in July. It seems a gentleman has sacrificed his hat.

The first, taken by pal Guido on the Queen Charlotte Islands, is notable, according to him, for its lack of rubbish: "The only stuff you find on the beaches there, besides the shells, driftwood and seaweed, and the odd buoy and fishing net, are the flotsam and jetsam of faraway ships or faraway lands." Looks like this particular boot made it all the way from my former back alley (see post "It's Called Paydirt").

Guido adds, "And did you know that in America, there is a popular brand of bread called 'Holsum Bread'?" Word. Those who misspell with impunity will always have a special place in this heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home